The answer always is “Yes We Can Help.”
Debris from Fire, Water, Storms Damage, Now What
At ServiceMaster Restoration by Advanced, our well-equipped crews are available 24/7/365 to take care of all of your storm damage needs. Our goal is to make you feel at ease knowing we’re properly handling the contents of your home or business, which is why we are dedicated to remaining in constant communication with you throughout the restoration process.
An important part of the disaster restoration process is the cleaning and clearing of debris from storm damage done to your home or business. Storms, floods, hurricanes, and tornadoes are natural disasters that cause damage to both your building’s structure and the contents inside. Although every storm is different, they all create a tremendous amount of debris that must be removed and discarded safely. For safe, thorough, and professional debris removal in Arkansas, call ServiceMaster Restoration by Advanced.
When your personal belongings or furnishings are exposed to Water Damage or Smoke Damage, they may appear damaged beyond repair. The certified technicians of ServiceMaster Restoration by Advanced can often restore these assets using sophisticated drying, cleaning, and sanitizing equipment, but before the restoration process can begin, other possessions and materials must be removed from the affected areas.
Here are some of the services we provide for debris removal:
- Clearing of downed trees and branches from your property
- Temporary weather protection including installation of temporary tarps
- Pumping out of flooded basements and crawl spaces
- Removal of hazardous waste
- Complete water damage repair and recovery
- Packout Services and storage services
Is There Anything I Need To Do Before My Lot Gets Cleared?
What other issues might come up related to debris removal?
- Photograph all recognizable items in the debris before they are taken away, particularly items that your insurer removes for cleaning/salvage. Your insurer may bring in a company to clean and store items. Their fees usually get deducted from your insurance benefits for contents.
- Disagreements often arise over whether damaged items are salvageable and can be cleaned or whether it makes more sense to replace them. Examine the items your insurer or cleaning company deem salvageable. If you feel they really can’t be cleaned, or that cleaning and storage costs will exceed the cost to replace them, work it out with the adjuster. After these costs get deducted from your contents insurance coverage, you’ll be left with less money to replace destroyed items.
Helpful Hint: It’s a good idea to ask the insurance company for written confirmation that they have fully inspected the loss location to their satisfaction and agree that you can move forward with debris removal and clearing the site.
What if my insurance isn’t enough to cover the cost of debris removal?
If your property was damaged or destroyed but not in a disaster that impacted other homes in your area, you’ll have to negotiate the price for the removal work and pay out of pocket if it’s above your policy limits. But if a disaster impacted your home and others in your area, your city or county may help with debris removal. They may provide free “roll off” dumpsters and/or they may give you the option of participating in a coordinated lot-clearing program. In a coordinated program, the city or county screens and selects contractors to remove the debris from the lots of homeowners who want to participate. To participate, the homeowner needs to complete paperwork and work with their insurer and the city/county to arrange payment. When these programs are well organized and well run, they provide cost savings and quality control to help homeowners get their lots cleared without extra headaches. If you participate in a coordinated program and the cost ends up being less than your policy limits for debris removal, you may be able to apply the benefits left over toward repairs/rebuilding.
If I participate in a coordinated program, am I protected if the coordinated debris removal cost ends up being more than my insurance coverage?
It depends on your insurance company and how your city/county sets up the program. In some areas in the past, the city or county made an agreement with insurance companies that homeowners who agreed to participate in the program would not be asked to pay anything out of pocket toward debris removal, even if the cost ended up being above their policy limits. Before you submit the paperwork to participate in a coordinated debris removal program, find out whether you will have that protection.
My home was damaged but is still standing. What should my first steps be?
- Once you’re allowed back to your home, read the tips below before re-entering and take lots of photos.
- Hazardous material removal and disposal issues may come up. And, if your foundation needs to be removed, the soil under it will most need re-compacting. Any work that is necessary to restore your home to its pre-loss condition should be covered up to the limits in your policy, and subject to exclusions (as long as those exclusions are written in plain, clear and unambiguous wording). If your insurer is refusing to cover necessary expenses and/or relying on an exclusion that is vague or ambiguous or does not seem applicable, speak UP and enforce your rights to collect insurance benefits for the work that needs to be done.
Tips For Sifting Debris
- Never walk on top of the debris; that’ll only crush or break what you’re trying to save.
- Work slowly in from the side.
- Sift from the top in small layers and work your way down to the bottom.
- What you’re looking for will likely be at the bottom of the debris.
We Do It All
When your home or business has suffered Storm Damage, do not hesitate to call the professionals. For debris removal, you can count on the team at ServiceMaster Restoration by Advanced!
We can assist property owners from the beginning to the end. After the damage has been assessed, we will provide the necessary services to restore your home. We also have the ability to offer Reconstruction management services that can repair your property damages including roof repair, trim and drywall installation, finishing and painting.
Contact us today and let us restore your home and your peace of mind. (501) 943-7606